[pacman-dev] Bumping a couple of patches

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Sat May 17 04:29:56 EDT 2008

> Hi,
>
> I am just bumping a couple of patches because I have been bitten by this
> issue again, twice in the last few days...
>
> 1) http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-April/011562.html
> This allows makepkg to catch an error from when pacman is unable to
> remove installed dependencies after makepkg successfully builds a
> package and instead prints warning.  There was a discussion about
> whether this should print a list of packages that were installed as
> dependencies, but I still feel that this is covered by using "pacman
> -Qtd" and "tail /var/log/pacman.log".

I don't see any clean solution for this. My main problem: it is impossible to
restore the "before makepkg" state. If we upgraded a package, we cannot
downgrade (btw. I hope we don't remove it now!); if we have an orphan package
and we installed package which needs it, with -Rs we does an unwanted orphan.
vmiklos's method seems safer to me here...

> 2) http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-April/011569.html
> This is a pactest that flags one of the causes of the above issue.  If
> you try to remove the dependency chain pkg1 -> pkg2 -> pkg3 with "pacman
> -Rs "pkg1 pk3", pacman fails.  I realize this is adding a failing
> pactest without solution, but it is probably something libalpm should be
> able to handle.

As you probably saw, I sent a patch for this in that thread.