[pacman-dev] Bumping a couple of patches

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sat May 17 06:05:30 EDT 2008

Nagy Gabor wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am just bumping a couple of patches because I have been bitten by this
>> issue again, twice in the last few days...
>>
>> 1) http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-April/011562.html
>> This allows makepkg to catch an error from when pacman is unable to
>> remove installed dependencies after makepkg successfully builds a
>> package and instead prints warning.  There was a discussion about
>> whether this should print a list of packages that were installed as
>> dependencies, but I still feel that this is covered by using "pacman
>> -Qtd" and "tail /var/log/pacman.log".
>
> I don't see any clean solution for this. My main problem: it is impossible to
> restore the "before makepkg" state. If we upgraded a package, we cannot
> downgrade (btw. I hope we don't remove it now!);

Well, no one changed this behavior recently, so if we removed packages
before, we still do it now :)

> if we have an orphan package
> and we installed package which needs it, with -Rs we does an unwanted orphan.
> vmiklos's method seems safer to me here...

I don't understand, any chances you could try to explain that again?

In any cases, what Allan patch does is simply fixing this bug report
which had a pretty explicit title :
FS#10039 - [makepkg] Failure to remove deps should not return an error

So it seems safe to pull it. This doesn't prevent a future rework of
remove_deps function.

>> 2) http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-April/011569.html
>> This is a pactest that flags one of the causes of the above issue.  If
>> you try to remove the dependency chain pkg1 ->  pkg2 ->  pkg3 with "pacman
>> -Rs "pkg1 pk3", pacman fails.  I realize this is adding a failing
>> pactest without solution, but it is probably something libalpm should be
>> able to handle.
>
> As you probably saw, I sent a patch for this in that thread.

Yes, I started looking at it a while ago and it seemed alright. Seems
like I have been disturbed by the infinite amount of other pacman issues :)
I reworked the git log, please check if it's alright.
My patch queue is available here :
http://shining.toofishes.net/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=pacman.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/working