[pacman-dev] Fix command line argument parsing in makepkg

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed May 28 09:48:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> wrote:
> On 2008-05-28, Xavier wrote:
>> > --source            = -S
>> > --noconfirm        =  -n
>> > --noprogressbar = -N
>> > --holdver            = -H
>> > --forcever           = ?
>> > --asroot             = ?
>
> Someone else suggested -0 and -F. The only extra I would
> suggest is an additional check for "--help" so for those
> occasions when longopts do get used, for assistance, that
> both -h and --help shows the new shortopts usage list.

Yeah, I used -O and -F for the two missing ones.
Oh wait, I just realize there is a confusion here between O and 0.
Here is what Allan said :
"We could use -O for --asroot because root tends to have user id 0."

He suggested using the o letter because it looks like 0 number.
In my mind, short opts were always letter too, so I followed his suggestion.

I renamed the internal fakeroot -F option to -X.

About --help : as long as you write an invalid option, usage will be displayed.
And when using a longopt, I guess it will try to use the second - as
an option which is invalid.

>> So what do people think about a short opt only makepkg?
>
> I think it's a great idea and would simplify the argument
> passing in makepkg. Longopts are politcially correct but
> shortopts, especially if it streamlines code, still works
> just fine once the changes are understood by end users.
>
> There are 62 possibilities... a-zA-Z0-9.
>
>> I would like more feedbacks on the idea as I have a patch mostly
>> working but there is no reason to polish it if the idea is wrong and
>> if the patch will be rejected in any cases.
>
> Not that my vote counts for anything but I'm all for it.
>
> +1 as they say

ok, thanks for the comments.