[pacman-dev] Fix command line argument parsing in makepkg

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed May 28 10:58:23 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-28, Allan McRae wrote:
> Also, I would find it a bit weird passing only
> short options for --noprogressbar and --noconfirm which do not have
> short options in pacman which is their eventual target.

. an experienced user will get used to any new options

. a new user will always have to refer to the usage or man
  page so whether they are intuitive or not doesn't really
  matter, they are whatever they are when viewing usage

For example, -e and -o always confuse me and after a year I
still have to look at usage to make sure what to use to not
extract the the tarball or the opposite. In other words I
rely on the usage to guide me constantly for less frequently
used options so what ever the options are doesn't matter (to me).
It's only the first most used options that have any chance of
being intuitive or natural, anything after that usually, in my
experience, becomes more and more obscure and requires a lookup.

I simply never use longopts anyway, but that just my 2c POV.

--markc