[pacman-dev] pacman port to BSD

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu May 29 18:38:08 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Antonio Huete Jimenez
<ahuete.devel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like to know if there is some work in progress to porting pacman
> to any BSD system

You may want to take a look at the archives for this month:
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-May/thread.html

Many of the posts from Sebastian Nowicki are related to getting
makepkg to work on Mac OSX which is obviously similar to BSD.
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-May/011830.html
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-May/011837.html

In addition, libalpm & pacman should be fully buildable and testable
on BSDs and OSX. libfetch will be used in place of libdownload, and
libarchive must be available as well. We did a lot of work last
October to get it compiling on FreeBSD. This is all available in the
pacman git repository.

With that said, none of us main developers use BSD as a primary or
even secondary system, so it doesn't get much testing. We would need
help from someone in those communities to help out and ensure we
remain compatible.