[pacman-dev] pacman port to BSD

Sebastian Nowicki sebnow at gmail.com
Fri May 30 01:39:34 EDT 2008

On 30/05/2008, at 6:38 AM, Dan McGee wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Antonio Huete Jimenez
> <ahuete.devel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I would like to know if there is some work in progress to porting
>> pacman
>> to any BSD system
>
> You may want to take a look at the archives for this month:
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-May/thread.html
>
> Many of the posts from Sebastian Nowicki are related to getting
> makepkg to work on Mac OSX which is obviously similar to BSD.
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-May/011830.html
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-May/011837.html
>
> In addition, libalpm & pacman should be fully buildable and testable
> on BSDs and OSX. libfetch will be used in place of libdownload, and
> libarchive must be available as well. We did a lot of work last
> October to get it compiling on FreeBSD. This is all available in the
> pacman git repository.
>
> With that said, none of us main developers use BSD as a primary or
> even secondary system, so it doesn't get much testing. We would need
> help from someone in those communities to help out and ensure we
> remain compatible.

I have been using pacman on Mac OSX for about a month now, and it's
working great. As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with it on
BSD. As I said in another mail, there are still some problems with the
dev toolset (makepkg, repo-add, etc), but makepkg is getting there,
it's definitely useable. I haven't tested pacman on FreeBSD or any
other BSD, but I don't see why it wouldn't work there as well.

--
Sebastian Nowicki