[pacman-dev] pacman port to BSD

Antonio Huete Jimenez ahuete.devel at gmail.com
Sat May 31 05:42:34 EDT 2008

Sebastian Nowicki wrote:
> On 30/05/2008, at 6:38 AM, Dan McGee wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Antonio Huete Jimenez
>> <ahuete.devel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I would like to know if there is some work in progress to porting
>>> pacman
>>> to any BSD system
>>>
>> You may want to take a look at the archives for this month:
>> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-May/thread.html
>>
>> Many of the posts from Sebastian Nowicki are related to getting
>> makepkg to work on Mac OSX which is obviously similar to BSD.
>> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-May/011830.html
>> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-May/011837.html
>>
>> In addition, libalpm & pacman should be fully buildable and testable
>> on BSDs and OSX. libfetch will be used in place of libdownload, and
>> libarchive must be available as well. We did a lot of work last
>> October to get it compiling on FreeBSD. This is all available in the
>> pacman git repository.
>>
>> With that said, none of us main developers use BSD as a primary or
>> even secondary system, so it doesn't get much testing. We would need
>> help from someone in those communities to help out and ensure we
>> remain compatible.
>>

> I have been using pacman on Mac OSX for about a month now, and it's
> working great. As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with it on
> BSD. As I said in another mail, there are still some problems with the
> dev toolset (makepkg, repo-add, etc), but makepkg is getting there,
> it's definitely useable. I haven't tested pacman on FreeBSD or any
> other BSD, but I don't see why it wouldn't work there as well.
>
> --
> Sebastian Nowicki

Hello

I've just compiled and tested pacman with some minor make problems (like
being unable to compile pacman.8) under DragonFlyBSD. pacman seems to
run fine, but I've been unable to make packages using makepkg, due a
fail when parsing opts and due that glibc dependency on every package
you need to build.
I think there was some patch on pacman-dev to fix that problem with
parsing opts to bash scripts, but what about glibc dependency on BSD
systems? How can I avoid it?

I'll provide detailed information when I have something useable.

Regards & thanks for your help
Antonio Huete