[pacman-dev] ALPM & PackageKit

Georg Grabler ggrabler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 04:23:27 EDT 2008

Hey guys,

I've some concerns. I also posted quite a similar thing to the dev~ list of
PackageKit, and I'll also try to get some information in IRC lateron.

First of all, as you might know, the Shaman devs (drf and boom) would like
to switch to packagekit with version 2 of Shaman.

Therefore, I looked at the implementation of the ALPM backend in PackageKit
(developed by onestep).

As it seems, all operations which at least require a synchronisation, or
download functionality, are missing in the backend implementation.

The reason:
PackageKit has no functionality to supply server or configuration parameters
to the backend library (interfaces missing).

Now, since ALPM does not read any config files (I basically think it's the
right way that the frontends have their own config management), I'd like to
know before I talk again with the PK maintainers what ALPM would need for
all "standard" operations (see chart at
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-matrix.html).

In between: ALPM has improved a lot ("helpful" functions) since I looked at
it the last time. Nice job.

Kind regards,
Georg