[pacman-dev] [aur-general] The KDE 4.3 update for packagers

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 06:35:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Roman Kyrylych<roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:08, Pierre Schmitz<pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>> Am Dienstag 04 August 2009 08:58:18 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>>> Hi Devs and TUs,
>>>
>>> with the recent KDE update the packages were split up. All packages in
>>> extra should be updated but if you maintain a KDE related package please
>>> check.
>>>
>>> Try to reduce the deps (use namcap) and replace a dep to kdegraphics with
>>> the needed sub packages.
>>>
>>> At least a KDE pacakges which has some standalone app should depend on
>>> kdebase-runtime (namcap wont tell you)
>>>
>>> In addition to this phonon is included into Qt now.
>>
>> I had to remove the provides from the meta packages; pacman seems to have
>> problems when there are groups with the same name. That means that pacakges
>> having deps to the old KDE packages are broken atm; sorry.
>
> Moving this to pacman-dev...
> The relevant bug is http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15779

I am completely lost here. Care to explain what's wrong with pacman in
this case?
You need to state the problem more clearly, and what you would expect
pacman to do.

Here is my current understanding, simplifying the case of the bug report :
pkg-meta : depends pkg provides oldpkg conflicts oldpkg
pkg : provides oldpkg conflicts oldpkg

imo, this is a packaging problem. You should put conflicts/provides
either in pkg-meta or in pkg, but not in both.

But what does this have to do with groups?