[pacman-dev] [aur-general] The KDE 4.3 update for packagers

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue Aug 4 15:35:45 EDT 2009

Am Dienstag 04 August 2009 12:35:10 schrieb Xavier:
> I am completely lost here. Care to explain what's wrong with pacman in
> this case?
> You need to state the problem more clearly, and what you would expect
> pacman to do.
>
> Here is my current understanding, simplifying the case of the bug report :
> pkg-meta : depends pkg provides oldpkg conflicts oldpkg
> pkg : provides oldpkg conflicts oldpkg
>
> imo, this is a packaging problem. You should put conflicts/provides
> either in pkg-meta or in pkg, but not in both.
>
> But what does this have to do with groups?

No, there is no real pacman bug. I had two problems:

* I didn't really think about how pacman handles groups. So I tried something
which does not work with pacman. I replace a package like kdebase with a group
having the same name. To make a smooth update possible I also added a meta
package which provides/replaces kdebase. This works fine but when you wnt to
install the kdebase group there is no way to tell pacman. pacman -S kdebase
will allways install the package tht provides kdebase but not the group.

* The second problem was that I had overseen some more complex
provides/conflicts behaviour. If a package a conflicts with package b it does
also with all packages who provide b.

So, don'T worry; no real bug here.

--

Pierre Schmitz, http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre