[pacman-dev] inside PKGBUILD customizable makepkg PURGE_TARGETS

Ciprian Dorin, Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:17:23 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Ciprian Dorin, Craciun wrote:
>>
>>    Hello all!
>>
>>    Again I have a proposal to enhance makepkg PURGE_TARGETS handling.
>>
>>    I think that enabling customizing PURGE_TARGETS inside PKGBUILD
>> would be a benefit in the following context:
>
> Without checking, I would have thought that exporting "PURGE_TRAGETS=..."
> within a package function would just work.  I guess the old value would not
> be restored afterwards though.
>
>>    * I have a software package that contains: an application, a
>> static library, a dynamic library, and some development files;
>>    * I want to create separate packages: something-bin, something-lib
>> (shared library), something-dev (include and static library), and
>> maybe something-doc;
>>
>>    What I have to do today (maybe there is a different way, please
>> correct me): I create a `something-lib_package` function in which I
>> make a normal install, but then I delete all unneeded files.
>
> Given this is a fairly common thing to do in the Linux world, most software
> supports this in the Makefiles. "make install-libs" "make install-docs" etc.

    Unfortunately not all open source software behaves as nice as
this... (Actually my experience is on the contrary.)
    :) As trivia, even pacman doesn't support install-docs, or
install-libs target.

    So a simple solution to this problem, that can be applied as a
recipe for most packages, would be: just let the package install as it
wants, and then we'll trim off what we don't want.

    Ciprian.