[pacman-dev] [RFC] Package parser in python

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Dec 12 09:11:00 EST 2009

Sebastian Nowicki wrote:
> As you may have heard, I started a proper PKGBUILD parser[1], which
> parses according to shell semantics and does a little interpreting. I
> just released the first version, which doesn't handle errors, or
> multi-line values (like arrays or escaped newlines) very well. It does
> however support split packages. I'm in the process of modifying parched
> to essentially turn it into python bindings[2] for pkgparse.
>
> You probably already have a parser at this point, so I'm not sure how
> useful this would be to you (it might be overkill anyway), I just though
> I'd let you know.
>
> [1]: http://github.com/sebnow/pkgparse
> [2]: http://github.com/sebnow/parched/tree/pkgparse_pyrex

Looks interesting.  I will take it for a spin later. I assume this is
going towards AUR2?

I had not done any further work on my parser as I was uncertain what was
the best way to go in developing a makepkg test suite.  Given the
makepkg test suite will use a safe set of PGKBUILDs, I was thinking of
just using bash to parse them.

Allan