[pacman-dev] PLEASE take my patches. PLEASE.

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 18:40:39 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Bryan Ischo
<bji-keyword-pacman.3644cb at www.ischo.com> wrote:
> I hate to be reduced to begging, but after weeks of no one taking my
> patches, this is what I have to do.  I jumped through every hoop I was asked
> to jump through to get my patches accepted (and to be honest, there were
> ALOT of hoops).  My most recent patches apply to the source code without any
> conflicts and address all outstanding issues raised on this list.  Dan McGee
> said that if I addressed those issues, he'd take my patches.  Well I did,
> weeks ago, and yet, my patches are not in the tree.
>
> So this is one last attempt on my part to try to get a pacman dev to apply
> my patches to the master git tree.  It should be trivially easy - should
> take all of a few seconds.

First, I'm sorry. I have a *heck* of a lot going on in my real life
and job right now, and I normally would never want to leave people
hanging like this. I've had your patches on my TODO list for a while.

"a pacman dev" is me. That is how it has been for a while, and
although I'm not as devoted to it as I used to be, I still think I am
in the best position to control the master code. Your patches,
although having gone through a good review, are still not trivial. If
you've noticed, the only patches I've applied in the last month are
trivial things or things I've done myself.

Yes, just taking your code in and applying it would take a few
seconds. But that isn't how it always works- I still need to test
them, as I hate pushing broken code out anywhere. A lot of us on this
list run pacman from git, and I really don't want to trash their or my
computer's database. I'm not saying your patches would do this- but
making sure is something I have to do, so blindly patching code isn't
something I do.

Once again, I'm sorry its taken so long, but I have about 80 things
asking for my attention in Arch-land, and I'm just not motivated to do
it all right this minute, nor do I have the time.