[pacman-dev] Add pkggrp variable for split packages?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 23 08:22:16 EST 2009

Hi all,

One of the things that needs fixed in the splitpkg work is the printing
of informational messages.  I.e.  when printing anything to do with
$pkgname.  Think of the following messages.
  - "is not available for the ? architecture"
  - "Making package"
  - "Finished making"

At the moment ${pkgname[0]} is printed, but that may not be good.  The
same thing occurs with "makepkg --source" and the naming of the source
tarball.

I propose fixing this by adding a "pkggrp" field that is only valid with
split packages and will hold a name to be used when describing a group
of packages.  If not specified, it will fall back to pkgname[0].

Does this sound reasonable to people?

Allan