[pacman-dev] Add pkggrp variable for split packages?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 11:51:46 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One of the things that needs fixed in the splitpkg work is the printing of
> informational messages.  I.e.  when printing anything to do with $pkgname.
>  Think of the following messages.
>  - "is not available for the ? architecture"
>  - "Making package"
>  - "Finished making"
>
> At the moment ${pkgname[0]} is printed, but that may not be good.  The same
> thing occurs with "makepkg --source" and the naming of the source tarball.
>
> I propose fixing this by adding a "pkggrp" field that is only valid with
> split packages and will hold a name to be used when describing a group of
> packages.  If not specified, it will fall back to pkgname[0].
>
> Does this sound reasonable to people?

I like the idea, but fear "pkggrp" could get too confused with
"groups" in concept. I almost feel like "pkgbase" to indicate the base
or root of the split could be more useful, as I could see that being
useful for urls and the like.

pkgname=(kdelibs-foo kdelibs-bar)
pkgbase=kdelibs
source=(kde.org/blah/blah/$pkgbase-$pkgver.tar.gz)
build() {
   cd $srcdir/$pkgbase-$pkgver/
}