[pacman-dev] delta package sugestions...

Cochise - Quixote de Coração e Alma cochisepoeta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 16:40:45 EDT 2009

hi guys.
i'm interessed in delta packages.
I'm a brazilian with a poor english, then sorry by the kill of the languege.

the delta packages need 3 things in my vision...

1 -  rebuild instaled packages for the upgrade no needing a permanet cacheThis
huge and ugly shell line mke this.

 pacman -Ql kdemod-shaman | awk '{if ($1 == "kdemod-shaman") print $2}' |
xargs ls -ld | grep -v '^d' | awk '{ print $9 }' | xargs tar cf
shaman.pkg.tar

3 - not expend lots ofspace in the server with delta files life Fedora and
SUSE.
The rsync protocol update a file downoading the changed parts of then. the
server unly store the lastet version, like today.

3 -  Updae the rebuilded package with any server. them need use http and ftp
protocols
This prograns provides this.
http://zsync.moria.org.uk/

Then... Its necessary in the creation of package use gzip with the
--rsyncable flag and create a zsync file.
When upgrading a instaled package the pacman needs an alias to rebuild the
package with the --rsyncable flag too and download then with the zsync.

the xdelta is more eficient in bandwidth, but the zsync is it in storage
space.

Bye folks.