[pacman-dev] Doing more stuff with optdepends

Kevin Barry barryk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 21:08:29 EST 2009

One thing I've thought about is sometimes we have an executable that
only works with an opt depends installed. Running that executable will
give a nasty error message about unable to find library. It'd be nice
to have some kind of "This program requires the gtk+ package, please
install with pacman -S gtk+". Similar to what ubuntu does with a bunch
of common linux programs. I don't have any great ideas on
implementation though. I think it'd have to be some kind of system
where packages register their optdepends and have an install and
uninstall action, then when pacman installs a package it checks to see
if any already installed packages have registered that one as an
optdepends and execute the install action for that package.