[pacman-dev] patch submission help

Jeff jeff at kconline.com
Tue Mar 17 20:06:41 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:17:19AM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> For project foobar, let's assume there are 3 people developing (bob,
> alice, and bruce) all with their own trees, along with one master tree
> we'll just call "foobar". One person should probably have "push"
> rights to foobar. That person will be the one managing which patches
> are pulled from the other two developers and pushed to the master
> tree.

I appreciate you trying to help. I have worked with SCM for several
years, but perhaps someone else reading this list hasn't and it is a
good layout of how things work. My problem (and I think I worded it
poorly) is that I didn't know if some of the branches that implement
major changes were accessible to the public (read, Allen's branch). I'd
rather work with that directly than flip a coin to see which of us gets
a patch push first and which has to fix conflicts, especially since I'm
an outsider. IOW, I'm treading lightly. :)

> This is the way pacman rolls. Dan is the only one with push
> permissions to the master tree, and he pulls/merges/cherry-picks
> patches from the ML and from other people's branches and pushes them
> there

And I'm trying to keep both Dan and I from having to fix anything up.
Conflicts are annoying. Huge conflicts are a downright nightmare. Oh,
and I'm lazy. :)

--
Jeff

My other computer is an abacus.