[pacman-dev] patch submission help

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 22:23:31 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Jeff <jeff at kconline.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:17:19AM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>> For project foobar, let's assume there are 3 people developing (bob,
>> alice, and bruce) all with their own trees, along with one master tree
>> we'll just call "foobar". One person should probably have "push"
>> rights to foobar. That person will be the one managing which patches
>> are pulled from the other two developers and pushed to the master
>> tree.
>
> I appreciate you trying to help. I have worked with SCM for several
> years, but perhaps someone else reading this list hasn't and it is a
> good layout of how things work. My problem (and I think I worded it
> poorly) is that I didn't know if some of the branches that implement
> major changes were accessible to the public (read, Allen's branch). I'd
> rather work with that directly than flip a coin to see which of us gets
> a patch push first and which has to fix conflicts, especially since I'm
> an outsider. IOW, I'm treading lightly. :)

Everyone that has a regular flow of patches publishes them online,
either with gitweb or better yet, via a URL git can fetch so you can
see their stuff locally and diff and whatnot as you please:

Master:
git://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git
Mine (Dan):
git://code.toofishes.net/dan/pacman.git
Xavier:
git://code.toofishes.net/dan/pacman.git
Allan:
http://dev.archlinux.org/~allan/git/pacman.git
Nagy Gabor:
git://repo.or.cz/pacman-ng.git

I track all of these locally so I can do pulls and cherry picks of the
various branches.

>> This is the way pacman rolls. Dan is the only one with push
>> permissions to the master tree, and he pulls/merges/cherry-picks
>> patches from the ML and from other people's branches and pushes them
>> there
>
> And I'm trying to keep both Dan and I from having to fix anything up.
> Conflicts are annoying. Huge conflicts are a downright nightmare. Oh,
> and I'm lazy. :)

You haven't used GIT long enough to realize that conflicts happen
less, and are a whole lot less painful than with say CVS or SVN. The
only case where they are truly terrible is when full file rewrites
occur, or your patch does exactly what someone else's already did.