[pacman-dev] [RFC] Package parser in python

Sebastian Nowicki sebnow at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 10:22:22 EDT 2009

On Oct 1, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Allan McRae wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is one part of the makepkg test suite I am working on.   It is
> fairly a simple class that takes a pacman package filename and does
> some parsing.  Currently that involves getting the file list and the
> info from the .PKGINFO file.
>
> I am still fairly new to python so I am looking for comments on how
> this could be improved.
> One idea I have had is to not initialize all the fields in the
> pkginfo dict and add a test if an array exists before appending.  It
> would make the code tidier but that would mean the need to test if
> the field exists when comparing it later.

I didn't really look at the script, but I made a similar parser [1]
earlier, initially for AUR2 purposes. Looking over it, it seems I
don't include the file list during parsing, but that can probably be
easily added in. Perhaps it can be expanded upon, instead of creating
a new one. If not it should at least help.

[1] http://github.com/sebnow/parched/blob/master/parched.py