[pacman-dev] [RFC] Package parser in python

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Oct 1 10:32:31 EDT 2009

Sebastian Nowicki wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is one part of the makepkg test suite I am working on.   It is
>> fairly a simple class that takes a pacman package filename and does
>> some parsing.  Currently that involves getting the file list and the
>> info from the .PKGINFO file.
>>
>> I am still fairly new to python so I am looking for comments on how
>> this could be improved.
>> One idea I have had is to not initialize all the fields in the
>> pkginfo dict and add a test if an array exists before appending.  It
>> would make the code tidier but that would mean the need to test if
>> the field exists when comparing it later.
>
> I didn't really look at the script, but I made a similar parser [1]
> earlier, initially for AUR2 purposes. Looking over it, it seems I
> don't include the file list during parsing, but that can probably be
> easily added in. Perhaps it can be expanded upon, instead of creating
> a new one. If not it should at least help.
>
> [1] http://github.com/sebnow/parched/blob/master/parched.py

Ah....   I had seen that before but I thought it only parsed PKGBUILDs
for some reason.  I have been using that for some ideas for my PKGBUILD
parser but it needed a big overhaul for package splitting.

You script has reminded of some things (I should use a tuple instead of
a list for the "arrays" variable) and I like the idea of mapping names
to their PKGBUILD equivalents.

Allan