[pacman-dev] Shaman dependent on KDELibs? (Was: Re: Little hello and pyalpmm announcement)

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Sep 10 02:13:01 EDT 2009

Dario Freddi wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> after this neat announcement, since it looks like we're about to have a great
> GUI for alpm with GTK+, I think I could take the big step and make Shaman
> hard-depend on kdelibs for the next version (1.3). In fact many of the changes
> I'm making really require a lot of hassle to keep the Qt only and KDE version
> play together.
>
> Please share your opinion (given that Shaman is inside community, too). Do you
> think it is worth it/can create problems to make Shaman hard depend on
> KDELibs?

Firstly, I quite like the dichotomy that current happens with shaman -
in Arch [community] repo it is Qt only while in Chakra it is more fully
integrated as part of the KDEmod experience.

 From a non-KDE users perspective, I would no longer consider using
Shaman if it depended on kdelibs given that is a fairly bulky package.
The Qt dep is fairly easily justified even for a user who is primarily
in a GTK+ desktop as it is probably used for something like Skype anyway.

But if using kdelibs would make supporting shaman a lot easier, then I
know what I would be doing...

Allan