[pacman-dev] Improving Pacman's messages (was: Pacman 3.3.1 release?)

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:12:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:

> +1 for Xavier's suggestion, see also:
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-July/009064.html
>
> Someone should collect the problematic strings and fix them in a commit.
> Personally I can recall two of them:
> 1. "  -u, --sysupgrade     upgrade all outdated packages (-uu enables downgrade)\n"
> I have no better suggestion.
> 2. "no database for package: %s\n" (in pacman/sync.c)
> The second one should be something like "no Server URL for package: %s\n"

What I proposed is much less ambitious : I just want to do a simple
pass on the new/modified strings before requesting for translations
(instead of doing it after), for eliminating the obvious mistakes

Anyone is welcome do send patches to improve message consistency /
coherence / clarity / whatever.
Even if you are not sure of the english, if you know a message does
not accurately capture what the code is doing/reporting, just write a
patch anyway. I am sure it will be a pleasure for Dan to check/improve
the english :)