[pacman-dev] Improving Pacman's messages (was: Pacman 3.3.1 release?)

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Wed Sep 16 08:29:00 EDT 2009

2009. 09. 16, szerda keltezéssel 14.11-kor Xavier ezt írta:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Any blockers or objections to going with what we pretty much have
> > right now? We'll need a (short) translation period of course as we
> > updated and added some messages, but I can't think of much else.
> >

> One objection : someone (probably me) should actually update one
> translation to check everything is fine before any translation period,
> even minor ones.
> Many times I detected some problems while translating after the string
> freeze, and it was obviously too late to fix.
> So if this could be done systematically, it would be perfect :)

+1 for Xavier's suggestion, see also:
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-July/009064.html

Someone should collect the problematic strings and fix them in a commit.
Personally I can recall two of them:
1. "  -u, --sysupgrade     upgrade all outdated packages (-uu enables downgrade)\n"
I have no better suggestion.
2. "no database for package: %s\n" (in pacman/sync.c)
The second one should be something like "no Server URL for package: %s\n"

Bye

PS: +1 for 3.3.1 release, I can't see any serious unfixed issue in bug
tracker since 3.3.