[pacman-dev] Explicit (opt)deps for makepkg.

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Jul 18 20:23:06 EDT 2010

Allan McRae wrote:

> On 19/07/10 06:24, Xyne wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think the pacman package should explicitly list makepkg's optional
> > dependencies, instead of simply assuming the presence of base and
> > base-devel.
>
> You have reached the list for the development of pacman.  For discussion
> of distribution specific issues on packaging, you should use the
> facilities provided by your distribution (e.g. mailing lists/forums/bug
> tracker).

Suddenly I feel as if I'm in a Monty Python sketch, but I'll play
along. See you at the next teller window.

> > Using a minimal 32-bit chroot, the only way to keep it minimal is to
> > try to run makepkg and then track down each dependency-related error
> > one by one until it completes.
>
> The dependencies for makepkg are given at the top of makepkg itself.  If
> any are missing, provide a patch or file a bug report.

# makepkg uses quite a few external programs during its execution. You
# need to have at least the following installed for makepkg to function:
#   bsdtar (libarchive), bzip2, coreutils, fakeroot, find (findutils),
#   gettext, grep, gzip, openssl, sed, tput (ncurses), xz

==> Extracting Sources...
/usr/bin/makepkg: line 663: file: command not found
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
/usr/bin/makepkg: line 1749: file: command not found

Please add "file" to that list and please don't tell me to submit a
patch or file a bug report for something that trivial. There's enough
pointless bureaucracy in the world as is.