[pacman-dev] Examples in the manpages

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 22:57:40 EDT 2010

On 13 June 2010 09:45, Ivan S. Freitas <ivansichfreitas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  How to use makepkg correctly
>>    (Running it for pacman-git's PKGCONFIG results in
>>    ==> ERROR: Install file (pacman.install) does not exist.)
>>
>>  How to install a package from a file
>>    One finds this on the wiki, but I would prefer to have it
>>    available offline
>>
>>  How to upgrade your system
>>  How to remove a package
>>  How to downgrade a package
>>
>> That's not much for now, but having examples gives a better and
>> faster insight into the application (git devs did that pretty good).
>
> Can I sugest the pacman tips available in the wiki?
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Tips#Aliases

I don't think those would be wise additions to a manual.

Example(s):

pacman -S package - install a package

And stuff like the above are a waste over what is already obvious from
the manual anyway.

The downgrade one..you could probably forget about it as well. The
only helpful example with regards to usage would be nested commands
which not everyone is aware of, I would guess:

pacman -S package1-{foo,bar1-{one,two}}

But, good examples are good examples, if you can come up with them :)

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD