[pacman-dev] Examples in the manpages

Nico Schottelius nico-pacman-dev at schottelius.org
Sun Jun 13 05:43:14 EDT 2010

Ray Rashif [Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:57:40AM +0800]:
> On 13 June 2010 09:45, Ivan S. Freitas <ivansichfreitas at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>  How to use makepkg correctly
> >>    (Running it for pacman-git's PKGCONFIG results in
> >>    ==> ERROR: Install file (pacman.install) does not exist.)
> >>
> >>  How to install a package from a file
> >>    One finds this on the wiki, but I would prefer to have it
> >>    available offline
> >>
> >>  How to upgrade your system
> >>  How to remove a package
> >>  How to downgrade a package
> >>
> >> That's not much for now, but having examples gives a better and
> >> faster insight into the application (git devs did that pretty good).
> >
> > Can I sugest the pacman tips available in the wiki?
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Tips#Aliases
>
> I don't think those would be wise additions to a manual.
>
> Example(s):
>
> pacman -S package - install a package

That wasn't meant, although I don't consider it harmful,
because "sync" is probably not what one associates with "install"
in general.

If you reread my post above, you'll notice that I refer
pacman -U /path/to/pkg, which is absolutely not obvious for
a newbie.

> And stuff like the above are a waste over what is already obvious from
> the manual anyway.

Not sure whether I can agree with this statement - if there's one person
repoting to not understanding the manual, there are probably hundreds
more who haven't reported, and thus its worth to add information.

> The downgrade one..you could probably forget about it as well. The
> only helpful example with regards to usage would be nested commands
> which not everyone is aware of, I would guess:
>
> pacman -S package1-{foo,bar1-{one,two}}
>
> But, good examples are good examples, if you can come up with them :)

I'll probably add some ideas to a git repo and let me blame for the
proposed ideas afterwards, so no confusion comes up.

Nico

--
New PGP key: 7ED9 F7D3 6B10 81D7 0EC5  5C09 D7DC C8E4 3187 7DF0
Please resign, if you signed 9885188C or 8D0E27A4.

Currently moving *.schottelius.org to http://www.nico.schottelius.org/ ...