[pacman-dev] Provides/replaces fields and backup files

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Sat May 8 22:32:26 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Nezmer <arch at nezmer.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose package B replaces package A. Both packages share the same
> content with minor differences. They both have many backup files with
> the same initial content.
>
> When package B replaces package A. Modified backup files will move to
> <backupfile.pacsave>.
>
> What If pacman could check for initial content of the backup files for
> both packages and If the content is the same, treat those backup files
> as If the process is a package upgrade not a package replacement.
>
> This is a real-life example. Packages A and B contain files like
> "/etc/passwd" and "/etc/group". So not moving the files to ".pacsave"
> adds more than a convenience for the lazy.
>
> My C skills are next-to-zero so unfortunately I can't help coding this.
>
> Do you consider this a valid minor bug?

It's not a bug, but it's a valid feature request.

> Should I report this to flyspray?

You can, but that won't ensure that someone will work on it either.

There has been this idea floating around for years that backup
handling was another area that needed a full rewrite, and the proposal
was basically to always move backup files to .pacsave on removal, and
to restore them on upgrade/replace/install, i.e. handle these 3
different cases in an uniform way.