[pacman-dev] [pyalpm] released version 0.2

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Mon Apr 4 01:38:37 EDT 2011

Rémy Oudompheng wrote:

> Hello,
>
> pyalpm version 0.2 is available at
>   ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/pyalpm/pyalpm-0.2.tar.gz
>
> There is also a PKGBUILD on AUR. I have not really wrapped more
> libalpm functions, but I have begun writing a clone of pacman in
> Python. The goal is multiple:
>
> * have Python modules giving access to pacman functionalities which
> are not strictly in libalpm (like configuration via pacman.conf)
> * have an easy way to test the bindings more extensively
> * provide material allowing to hack quickly a pacman variant
> * see how the use of another language affects pacman's code
> * have fun
>
> For the moment, it is in a very early stage and only gives access to
> simple database lookup functions. The script is called pycman and
> supports options -Q[ilq], -S[iglq], -T.
>
> pycman/pyalpm works with Python 3.2 (needed for argparse module) and
> libalpm from pacman 3.5 (the current targeted API).
>
> --
> Rémy.

Hi,

I'm following this with interest. It should be very useful for both full
applications and quick scripts, and I'm sure that I'll have some fun with it
when I have the time.

You might find the Reflector module (Python 3.2) useful:
http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/reflector/

If no one else does (and maybe even if they do), I might eventually write an AUR
module to interaction with the RPC interface. That should complement pyalpm
nicely.

Is this intended to become an official project, or just a fun personal project?

Regards,
Xyne