[pacman-dev] Removing empty directories

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 06:48:10 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> How much of a performance hit would there really be?   If I have this right
> in my head (big assumption), the file-lists for all packages are read in in
> one go.  So all that we would have to do is loop over them checking for the
> empty directory before we add it to the removal list. Should be a minimal
> impact....  maybe...
>
> I suppose the best way is to make a patch and see!

AFAIK the file lists currently do not need to be loaded with -R, so
the impact would be loading them more than the checking itself.
Then again, we have that cost for all -S operation already, so why not
make -R as bad ? :)

Anyway we will keep having problems until we have a single file for
the local db as well.