[pacman-dev] sodeps: makepkg patches

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 21:53:44 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Florian Pritz
<bluewind at server-speed.net> wrote:
> The -d/-dd patches are in master now so I'll start a new thread
> for the makepkg patches only.
>
> I've tested them with readline and they work fine.
>
> The final PKGINFO contains entries like these:
> depend = libc.so=6-64
> provides = libreadline.so=6-64
>
> Git repo is here http://git.server-speed.net/users/flo/pacman/?h=sodeps

So... we still haven't looked at any cross-compatibility with this.
Things that are tied heavily to specific implementation details have
bitten us before; see makepkg VCS integration.

Here is a non-so case that we need to at least think about how we might handle:
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/DynamicLibraries/100-Articles/DynamicLibraryDesignGuidelines.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002013-SW23

"so" is nowhere to be found in there, so my first thought on this
whole thing is to at least name this generically so we can extend it
now and/or in the future. Can we start calling it
libdepends/libprovides?

I have the feeling this has been hashed/rehashed/blended before, but
why aren't we just doing something like:

    provides=('myenv')
    libprovides=('libx.so' 'liby.so')

To me, this seems a lot clearer and alleviates the black magic
concerns of changing depends/provides arrays on the fly.