[pacman-dev] Download sources from git/hg/etc

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Mon Jul 4 13:32:16 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 06:43:47PM +0200, seblu at seblu.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would add a new feature in makepkg, which allow downloading of
> git/hg/cvs/etc content directly by makepkg. This feature can be great
> for packages in AUR. We have a lot of -git packages which can use this
> to escape to do it manually each time.

Wouldn't this just be extending the already in place functionality that
we have for source retrieval? Why would this be a separate feature?

> I looked over the code and there is a design choice to make.
> Currently sources url is [filename::]http://toto. If we want to know
> which kind of url is (regular / git / hg) we need to have this
> information in PKGBUILD because git can download from http/ftp/git
> protocol.
>
> We can have many array in PKGBUILD as
> source=("http://toto")
> gitsouce=("git://toto.git)
> hgsource=("http://otot.hg)
>
> or have a more complex url syntax like
> [type:::][filename::]http://toto where type can be git/hg/cvs/etc.
>
> What do you think?

I'm more in favor of reusing the variables already in place and not
inventing more VCS specific vars. That said, I think data storage and
retreival is one of the least pressing issues in implementing this.
Whether you iterate over an array and assign, or iterate over another
array, parse and assign is trivial -- we can decide on that once the
rest of it is done. In other words, a lack of a decision here shouldn't
stop you. Pick something and go with it.

dave