[pacman-dev] Download sources from git/hg/etc

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Jul 4 19:46:04 EDT 2011

On 05/07/11 02:43, seblu at seblu.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would add a new feature in makepkg, which allow downloading of
> git/hg/cvs/etc content directly by makepkg. This feature can be great
> for packages in AUR. We have a lot of -git packages which can use this
> to escape to do it manually each time.
>
> I looked over the code and there is a design choice to make.
> Currently sources url is [filename::]http://toto. If we want to know
> which kind of url is (regular / git / hg) we need to have this
> information in PKGBUILD because git can download from http/ftp/git
> protocol.
>
> We can have many array in PKGBUILD as
> source=("http://toto")
> gitsouce=("git://toto.git)
> hgsource=("http://otot.hg)
>
> or have a more complex url syntax like
> [type:::][filename::]http://toto where type can be git/hg/cvs/etc.
>
> What do you think?

Just to catch you up on work that has already been done here:

The start of a wiki page to formulate ideas on the VCS overhaul:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Makepkg_VCS_overhaul

Two patches that do most of this work already:
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2010-November/012017.html
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2010-November/012018.html

And looking at that thread, I promised to review those when less busy
and never actually got there.  I still do have them flagged on my patch
queue...

Also, this is something that I think would be good to target for our
pacman-4.0 release if people are willing to do the work.  Breaking VCS
PKGBUILDs on a 4.0 release seems better idea than on a 4.1 release.

Allan