[pacman-dev] Mirrorlist as Dependency

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 12:10:45 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM, David J. Haines <dhaines at gmail.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I was wondering whether it would be perhaps closer to KISS and/or more
>> logically coherent not to have pacman-mirrorlist as a dependency of pacman.
>> You don't actually need the mirrors to use pacman, and if you maintain a
>> local mirror or build your own packages with ABS, /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
>> just gets in the way and/or becomes cruft.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Well, in case of Archlinux, that dependency makes totally sense.
> Pacman delivered without any mirrorlist would be very confusing to new
> users.
> I guess you're looking at Archlinux' pacman PKGBUILD file, which I
> assume is of course part of the Archlinux project, not of the pacman
> project. A change of package name to archlinux-mirrorlist on that
> front would make sense indeed. But that request I guess should be made
> on a different mailing list.

For Arch, it doesn't really make sense to have pacman without a mirror
list, and I'm not interested in dealing with 50 bug reports to save
someone one package install and 10KB saved on their system.

There is no reason you can't point your pacman.conf at any other
server file, there is no reason it needs to be only an "Include =
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist", so keep that in mind.