[pacman-dev] Plurals (was: [translation] Let's start the work for 3.5.0 release)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:06:58 EST 2011

2011/3/6 Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu>:
>> We're using transifex this time around, and going cold turkey, so I
>> won't even look at translations submitted here.
>>
>> http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/tree/doc/translation-help.txt
>
> Hi, I cannot get msgid_plurals to work:
> I tried to copy the French .po file, so I did the following:
> "Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=(n > 1)\n"
> #, c-format
> msgid "Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade?"
> msgid_plural "Do you want to skip the above packages for this upgrade?"
> msgstr[0] "Mellőzzük a fenti csomag telepítését?"
> msgstr[1] "Mellőzzük a fenti csomagok telepítését?"
>
> I always get msgstr[0]. What is wrong? (Btw, any help in the
> translation-help.txt file would be nice.)

You shouldn't have to mess with the Plural-Forms bit yourself;
Transifex automatically generates that and sticks it into the
generated translation file.

With that said, I have no idea what to tell you as to why it may not
be working, or what help you are looking for in the
translation-help.txt file. For instance, this seemed to work for me
and shows both message types:

$ sudo cp po/fr.mo /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/pacman.mo
$ LANG=fr_FR.utf8 ./src/pacman/pacman -Qk pacman-git glibc kernel26
pacman-git: 154 fichiers au total, 0 fichier manquant
glibc: 1422 fichiers au total, 0 fichier manquant
kernel26: 3266 fichiers au total, 0 fichier manquant