[pacman-dev] libalpm linked against libarchive/libfetch deps (was: SyncFirst and dependencies)

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 03:40:35 EDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Lukas Fleischer
<archlinux at cryptocrack.de> wrote:

> Yes, this definitely is a libtool issue. It just seems to link all
> indirect library dependencies. We can circumvent this by linking with
> "-Wl,--as-needed" but I'm not sure whether this is a valid workaround
> (especially since I'm not sure how this will affect other platforms).
> I will submit that patch for further testing tho.

Just to clarify with what was said in the other thread :
arch uses -Wl,--as-needed by default (makepkg.conf LDFLAGS) and this
flag can be seen in my two outputs above. But not in the right place,
and that's what the debian patch fixes.

And there was definitely a behavior change with that pacman libtool
upgrade in the usage of dependency_libs from .la files, but I cannot
tell whether it's a feature or a bug :)