[pacman-dev] checkupdates

keenerd keenerd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 06:43:40 EDT 2011

On 10/25/11, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> 1) I think you need to clean up the usage message a bit - maybe like this:

Definitely.

> 2) Change fakedb to FAKEDB?  Capitals seem the way to go. Should we also
> get a PAC/PACMAN in there?  FAKEPACDB?

One vote for caps.

> 3) I'd also change .localsync to something more descriptive.
> .pacmansync? .pacdb?

One vote for 'pac' in the db path.

On 10/26/11, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> Fake in the sense that pacman is reading from a different sync database
> than it normally would. I agree that fake probably isn't the best way to
> describe it, but it's what I used to describe it with when I originally
> wrote this.

One vote for status quo ;-)

> As long as we're bikeshedding, I vote to avoid the capitalized variable
> names wherever possible, as they should be reserved for system variables
> set by external processes or your shell.

One vote for lowercase.

> I'll also add: please do not hide this with a leading dot.
> There's no reason to.

One vote for no dot.

On 10/26/11, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not just use the program name prefix as is the usual convention
> and go with CHECKUPDATES_DATABASE?
>
> And this is totally
> broken- you can't try to segregate by $USER in a subdirectory as the
> first person to create .localsync wins. Just create a single top-level
> directory, 'checkupdates-${USER}/' or something.

Two votes for no dot.

The only reason for dotting the db directory was to make it less
likely to be deleted.  Save hitting your mirror as much.  Kind of
silly.

Why make a (hypothetical) bunch of directories when there could be
just one with liberal write permissions?  Though 0777 perms always bug
me, so I guess not.  Single user would be the common case so it is not
like it matters too much.  Going with you here.

> Finally, noticing the `rm -f db.lck` bit- please tell me that isn't
> necessary?

Probably necessary.  It is extremely easy to interrupt pacman and
leave a lock file floating around.  Since this is basically an
automatic read-only db there is no harm in keeping it that way and
making sure it will work consistently.  Keeping this for now unless
someone has a very compelling reason otherwise.

Three different opinions on env vars, why do you all have to be devs I
like.  How is this one?  Main changes are description, CHECKUPDATE_DB
and /tmp/checkup-db-${USER}/

-Kyle
http://kmkeen.com