[pacman-dev] checkupdates

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 00:42:05 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 01:26:57PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>> 2) Change fakedb to FAKEDB?  Capitals seem the way to go. Should we
>> also get a PAC/PACMAN in there?  FAKEPACDB?
>
> As long as we're bikeshedding, I vote to avoid the capitalized variable
> names wherever possible, as they should be reserved for system variables
> set by external processes or your shell.
Well, considering you can set 'fakedb' in the environment before you
call this program, doesn't this follow that very rule? I've never seen
another program look at a lowercase environment variable before. man
git, s/ENVIRONMENT for several of the ones I'm thinking of.

Why not just use the program name prefix as is the usual convention
and go with CHECKUPDATES_DATABASE?

>> 3) I'd also change .localsync to something more descriptive.
>> .pacmansync? .pacdb?
>>

> Agree, but I'll also add: please do not hide this with a leading dot.
> There's no reason to.
Especially not in /tmp/, thats just annoying. And this is totally
broken- you can't try to segregate by $USER in a subdirectory as the
first person to create .localsync wins. Just create a single top-level
directory, 'checkupdates-${USER}/' or something.

>> Anyway, as I said, mostly bikeshed worthy stuff here.  Create a git
>> format patch, remembering to add the entries to Makefile.am and
>> .gitignore in the contrib/ directory

Finally, noticing the `rm -f db.lck` bit- please tell me that isn't necessary?