[pacman-dev] checkupdates

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Wed Oct 26 00:15:33 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 01:26:57PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> A few minor comments:
>
> 1) I think you need to clean up the usage message a bit - maybe like this:
>
> checkupdate: Safely print a list of pending updates
> Usage: checkupdates
>
> Export the "fakedb" variable to change to path to the fake database.
>

> I still do not like the term "fake database" as it is not clear what
> that is....

Fake in the sense that pacman is reading from a different sync database
than it normally would. I agree that fake probably isn't the best way to
describe it, but it's what I used to describe it with when I originally
wrote this.

> 2) Change fakedb to FAKEDB?  Capitals seem the way to go. Should we
> also get a PAC/PACMAN in there?  FAKEPACDB?

As long as we're bikeshedding, I vote to avoid the capitalized variable
names wherever possible, as they should be reserved for system variables
set by external processes or your shell.

> 3) I'd also change .localsync to something more descriptive.
> .pacmansync? .pacdb?

Agree, but I'll also add: please do not hide this with a leading dot.
There's no reason to.