[pacman-dev] Repositories management in enterprise

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:20:53 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Thomas Baquet <me at lordblackfox.net> wrote:
> Hi there,
> While I was thinking how to deploy an ArchLinux like distribution in
> enterprise, I pointed that the biggest problem is the management of the
> updates. I though it could be interesting if there is way system like:
>
> Master ArchLinux repos → Enterprise repositories → Users, employees
>
> When is there an update to the master repos, the update will be done in a
> testing repos in the enterprise repositories; Then, administrators can
> verify if there is no problem for compatibility with the deployed machines,
> and if is okay, update the main repository of the enterprise.
>
> So my question is: is there a mechanism to do it automatically?

What in this process could be done "automatically"? If you mean
"automated", there is nothing out there right now that I know of that
would enable this workflow out of the box, but it doesn't seem like
something that hard or impossible to script. You'd just want to have a
local mirror of the packages, do an -Sy or equivalent on a box which
would give you the repos at a state in time, test that state, and then
serve those versions of the databases in-house once you verified them.