[pacman-dev] pacman -R default answer

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 21:12:20 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Diogo Sousa <diogogsousa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/13/2012 01:59 AM, Dave Reisner wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 01:55:03AM +0000, Diogo Sousa wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> when removing packages the default answer to "Do you want to remove
>>> these packages?" is Yes. Shouldn't we be conservative and provide "no"
>>> as the default?
>>>
>>> Diogo Sousa
>>>

>> Presumably the user intends to do what they just typed out onto the
>> command line.

> Yes, but sometimes the consequences of such intention is not clear to
> the user, like in case of a pacman -Rc, where you can easily
> unintentionally remove other packages.

Can't the same be said for -U, -S, and every other single modifying
operation? You can't even hit <enter> accidentally early anymore,
since we reset and throw away the input stream before reading the
answer.

If someone types `-Rc`, we're not in the business of babying you and
saying "you might break your system". The user *typed* the operation,
period. The only real proposal I could see having some merit is
removing the short version of dangerous operations. But changing the
"Y/n" default for one combination of options is not happening.