[pacman-dev] Debug symbol packages bikeshedding

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Tue Mar 20 10:13:34 EDT 2012

On 20.03.2012 15:02, Allan McRae wrote:
> I have been looking at the patches for automatic creation of packages
> with debug symbols.  I think they are good starts, but before I polish
> them we need to decide on a few things.  My preferences are highlighted
> with a (*)
>
> 1) the option in makepkg.conf and PKGBUILD options=() array
>  - debug (*)
>  - debugpkg
>  - splitdbg
>  - splitdebug

Assuming the only thing the option changes is that debug symbols are
split into a separate package, I'd rather have splitdebug, because debug
sounds like it would magically enable a debug build. (pass --debug to
configure, add -g to CFLAGS or the like)

> 2) the naming of the package with debug symbols
>  - foo-dbg
>  - foo-debug (*)
>  - foo-debuginfo
>  - foo-debug-symbols
>
> (Note -dbg is Debian style, -debuginfo is RPM style, and -debug
> potentially conflicts with a few packages in the AUR but none in the
> Arch repos...)

The aur packages are probably not needed any more once we have this. Go
with foo-debug

> 3) what information the .PKGINFO file has:
>
> pkgdesc="Debugging symbols for $pkgname"
>
> Must be included:
>  - pkgname
>  - pkgver/pkgrel/epoch/arch as in parent package
>  - depends=(parent=$epoch:$pkgver-$pkgrel)
>  - license
>
> Should be included?
>  - url

Can't hurt.

>  - replaces
>  - conflicts

I guess those are not needed if we already depend on a specific version
of the main package.

--
Florian Pritz