[pacman-dev] Removal of pacsearch?

Pierre Neidhardt ambrevar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 09:46:52 EST 2013

On 13-12-26 09:28:52, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > pacsearch "Add[s] color and install information to a pacman -Ss search".
> > This contrib script has last been updated for pacman 3.2 if I recall
> > correctly. Since pacman now comes with color support, I feel like this
> > script
> > has become obsolete. Beside being redundant, it is slower and colors are
> > somewhat less readable (as subjective as it may be).
> >

> Did it require regular updates past 3.2 to still work? I've still been
> using it without problems.

Nope, working just fine.

> The biggest reason I use it is to search -Ss and -Qs output at the same
> time, not for color. As far as I know this still doesn't happen with any
> combination of pacman flags.
>
> Also, citation required for "slower" claim. This is likely due to the
> aforementioned two operations instead of the single one you are comparing
> against.

Oh, right, I did not know that! Thanks for pointing that out. And yes, the time
needed for pacsearch is roughly the same as pacman -Qs + pacman -Ss.

So I guess the only fix should occur in the help message which is somewhat
misleading! :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt

"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it."
		-- Alex Schure