[pacman-dev] Removal of pacsearch?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 09:28:52 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar at gmail.com>wrote:

> pacsearch "Add[s] color and install information to a pacman -Ss search".
> This contrib script has last been updated for pacman 3.2 if I recall
> correctly. Since pacman now comes with color support, I feel like this
> script
> has become obsolete. Beside being redundant, it is slower and colors are
> somewhat less readable (as subjective as it may be).

Did it require regular updates past 3.2 to still work? I've still been
using it without problems.

The biggest reason I use it is to search -Ss and -Qs output at the same
time, not for color. As far as I know this still doesn't happen with any
combination of pacman flags.

Also, citation required for "slower" claim. This is likely due to the
aforementioned two operations instead of the single one you are comparing
against.