[pacman-dev] Compiling pacman with libarchive in nonstandard location

Michael Schubert mschu.dev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 06:40:43 EST 2013

Dear List Members,

I've been trying to compile pacman for a while now but I can't figure
out how to properly set the libarchive path with the following setup:

- I'm working on a server where I don't have root access
- the $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH are a mess
- an old libarchive is in /usr/lib64/libarchive.so.2
- the current libarchive is in ~/.arch/usr/lib
- I'd like ./configure to pick up the new libarchive

I have tried almost all combinations of the environment variables (used
full paths, ~ for clarity):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.arch/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LIBS=-L~/.arch/usr/lib
export LDFLAGS=-L~/.arch/usr/lib
export CFLAGS=-I~/.arch/usr/include
export CXXFLAGS=-I~/.arch/usr/include
echo > ChangeLog
echo > ABOUT-NLS
~/.arch/usr/bin/autoreconf --force -B~/.arch/usr/include
./configure

But it still fails with the message:

checking for archive_read_data in -larchive... no
configure: error: libarchive is needed to compile pacman!

I think I somehow need to prepend the personal library path to the paths
searched, but how?

Thanks
Michael