[pacman-dev] [translation] Wtf does pacman say?

William Giokas 1007380 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 11:42:38 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 04:28:09PM +0100, Matthias Gorissen wrote:
> We are almost done with the .de version, but there are at least two
> show-stoppers - I simply cannot figure out what it means.
>
> "%s optionally requires %s\n"
> I assume that we are talking about packages, but even if I should be
> wrong, I do not really see how something optional can be required.

Things that aren't needed for the core functionality, but can optionally
be installed for extra functionality. An example, systemd previously
required two python2 packages optionally, because systemd and everything
would work fine, except one command, which was not part of the core of
systemd. This made those two optional dependencies.

> And in libalpm we find:
> "could not stat file %s: %s\n"
> Maybe this is very transparent to programmers, but to me, it is not.
> Are we talking about statistics, about static links, or anything I don't
> even ever heard about?

`could not stat` is Linux slang for `could not find`, since the `stat`
command is used to get status information on a file.

"Kann %s nicht stat: %s\n"

pardon my very beginner German, it's been too long since I've used it.

> Devs could be a little more verbose, at times. Any comment will be
> appreciated.

Thanks,
--
William Giokas | KaiSforza