[pacman-dev] Letter case in pacman output

Jason St. John jstjohn at purdue.edu
Wed May 29 17:51:04 EDT 2013

I briefly talked with Allan on IRC about changing letter casing in
pacman's output (e.g. when running 'pacman -Qi'), and he stated that I
should gather feedback on the mailing list.

I would like to change from using title case to using sentence case
where appropriate.

An example of the change would be the following snippet from 'pacman -Qi'.

** Currently:
Depends On     : coreutils  linux-firmware  kmod  mkinitcpio>=0.7
Optional Deps  : crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your
country [installed]
Required By    : None
Optional For   : None
Conflicts With : kernel26
Replaces       : kernel26
Installed Size : 65562.00 KiB

** After the proposed change:
Depends on     : coreutils  linux-firmware  kmod  mkinitcpio>=0.7
Optional deps  : crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your
country [installed]
Required by    : None
Optional for   : None
Conflicts with : kernel26
Replaces       : kernel26
Installed size : 65562.00 KiB

Pros: I think it looks better aesthetically (although Allan disagrees)
and looks more professional.
Cons: Increased workload for translators for the next pacman release.

Jason