[pacman-dev] Letter case in pacman output

William Giokas 1007380 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 18:01:44 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:51:04PM +0200, Jason St. John wrote:
> I briefly talked with Allan on IRC about changing letter casing in
> pacman's output (e.g. when running 'pacman -Qi'), and he stated that I
> should gather feedback on the mailing list.
>
> I would like to change from using title case to using sentence case
> where appropriate.

But they are titles...

> An example of the change would be the following snippet from 'pacman -Qi'.
>
> ** Currently:
> Depends On     : coreutils  linux-firmware  kmod  mkinitcpio>=0.7
> Optional Deps  : crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your
> country [installed]
> Required By    : None
> Optional For   : None
> Conflicts With : kernel26
> Replaces       : kernel26
> Installed Size : 65562.00 KiB
>
> ** After the proposed change:
> Depends on     : coreutils  linux-firmware  kmod  mkinitcpio>=0.7
> Optional deps  : crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your
> country [installed]
> Required by    : None
> Optional for   : None
> Conflicts with : kernel26
> Replaces       : kernel26
> Installed size : 65562.00 KiB
>
> Pros: I think it looks better aesthetically (although Allan disagrees)
> and looks more professional.

I agree with Allan here. Also, if you look at yum/rpm, then you will see
this same case style[1]. Debian's apt also does similar things, but
their variables are separated by -'s not spaces, so they look something
like this:

    Multi-Arch: foreign

Which seems weird to me, but oh well.

[1]:
root at wcentos:/root # rpm -qi openssh
Name        : openssh                      Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 5.3p1                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 84.1.el6                      Build Date: Thu 21 Feb 2013 09:51:49 PM CST
Install Date: Fri 26 Apr 2013 09:10:55 PM CDT      Build Host: c6b9.bsys.dev.centos.org
Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM: openssh-5.3p1-84.1.el6.src.rpm
Size        : 675617                           License: BSD
Signature   : RSA/SHA1, Sat 23 Feb 2013 11:42:27 AM CST, Key ID 0946fca2c105b9de
Packager    : CentOS BuildSystem <http://bugs.centos.org>
URL         : http://www.openssh.com/portable.html
Summary     : An open source implementation of SSH protocol versions 1 and 2
root at wcentos:/root #

--
William Giokas | KaiSforza
GnuPG Key: 0x73CD09CF