[pacman-dev] Upgrading packages on case-insensitive filesystem

David Macek david.macek.0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:47:33 UTC 2015

Hi all.

The issue is that pacman refuses to replace a file during package upgrade if the case of the file's name has changed between versions. The error displayed is this:

> error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
> example2: /path/to/file exists in filesystem
> Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I'm using pacman on Windows/NTFS (ported as part of the MSYS2 project). I'm not completely sure if the problem is in upstream pacman, or only in the ported one, but it's happened enough times to prompt me to ask you people. I don't fully understand _alpm_db_find_fileconflicts, but it seems that it can't discover that the conflicting file will be removed with the old version of the package before an actual conflict can occur.

Would this be considered as a bug in pacman?

For the whole log (not much longer) and example PKGBUILDs, look here: https://gist.github.com/elieux/8faaf423601d7ef01d0f

Note that NTFS while is not case-sensitive by default, it is case-preserving.

--
David Macek