[pacman-dev] updpkgsums deletes more variables than it should

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 3 23:11:17 UTC 2015

On 04/02/15 01:04, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM, David Macek <david.macek.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3. 2. 2015 15:48, Andrew Gregory wrote:
>>> md5sums_extra looks like an architecture-specific checksum to
>>> makepkg/updpkgsums.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Are all suffixes reserved for future use, or is it conceivable to modify the regex to use "(any|x86_64|i686)" instead of "[^=]+"? I already changed the name of my variable, but I'm interested in the answer anyway.
>
> "all" is probably a heavy word here, but we can't just use that
> x86-specific triplet. arm, ppc, armv7, etc. are all in use in other
> places, and that is probably leaving some out.

I sure we document that variables in PKGBUILDs should start with an
underscore...  and we do!

man PKGBUILD:

If you need to create any custom variables for use in your build
process, it is recommended to prefix their name with an _ (underscore).
This will prevent any possible name clashes with internal makepkg
variables. For example, to store the base kernel version in a variable,
use something similar to $_basekernver.